Jagatsukh, historically called Nast, was the original capital of Kulu principality whence it was shifted to Naggar around 8th century[²] and thence to Sultanpur in the 17th century. Here the wooden temple of Sandhya Devi was constructed in 1428 by Raja Udham Pal,[³] which is elaborated by inscriptions. Scholars opine that there is a strong possibility of this temple (renovated in the 19th century) being constructed on the foundations of an ancient temple as evidenced from the lower third part of the temple which has exquisite carvings much earlier than the fifteenth century.
The inscriptions, hitherto discovered, which throw considerable light on the history of the valley, may now be briefly noticed. The foremost of these is the legend on the coin of a Kuluta king Virayaśa, which reads rajna Kolutasya Viryaśasya. As has been pointed out by Professor Rapson, it can be ascribed on palaeographical grounds to the first or second century A.D.