Basheshar Mahadev temple was built in the ninth century A.D., under the patronage of the Gurjara-Pratiharas. Probably Nagabhatta II or Bhoja was its builder. Likely, after the fall of Yasovarman’s house the last artists of his court seem to have found employment with those Pratiharas with whom a new phase of medieval art sets in Northern India and certainly the Bāsheśar Mahādeva temple is one of its most impressive proof.
Jagatsukh, historically called Nast, was the original capital of Kulu principality whence it was shifted to Naggar around 8th century[²] and thence to Sultanpur in the 17th century. Here the wooden temple of Sandhya Devi was constructed in 1428 by Raja Udham Pal,[³] which is elaborated by inscriptions. Scholars opine that there is a strong possibility of this temple (renovated in the 19th century) being constructed on the foundations of an ancient temple as evidenced from the lower third part of the temple which has exquisite carvings much earlier than the fifteenth century.
The late Dr. Vishwa Chandra Ohri¹ remarked that the image’s characteristics and several other details deviate from Kashmiri craftsmanship. He compared the image’s facial sculpting to that of the wooden Surya of Gajan (Kulu), and its crown to that of the Surya image from Bajaura (Kulu).
Devi Shujuni’s famed metal bust was first noticed and photographed in 1919 at the Bhunda of Nirmand. The Assistant Commissioner of Kulu, H. L. H. Shuttleworth, was able to notice this artefact due to some ‘fortunate’ circumstances. On this occasion, the bust was one of the treasures brought out of the bhandar (temple storeroom).